The UCSF School of Pharmacy has been involved in this transformation of its PharmD curriculum since 2013. Milestones continue to be achieved as the new PharmD curriculum moves toward a 2018 launch date.
Strategic foundation begun
Need for curriculum change endorsed by faculty (January 2013).
Strategic foundation deliberated
Curriculum transformation a key element of School’s five-year strategic planning retreat (January 2014).
Curriculum Vision developed
Process for transforming curriculum kicks off at curriculum visioning retreat (June 2014).
Curriculum Blueprint discussed
Faculty coordinating team, DRIVE, and then three faculty curriculum Design Work Groups form, with the ultimate goal of creating a blueprint for the new curriculum (October 2014, December 2014, respectively).
Faculty from across UCSF gather for campuswide curriculum transformation retreat (December 2014).
Strategic foundation solidified
2015–2020 UCSF School of Pharmacy strategic plan accepted by faculty vote (April/May 2015).
Curriculum Blueprint model developed and endorsed
Potential models for new PharmD curriculum discussed at School curriculum design retreat (March 2015).
PharmD students and others form Student and Stakeholder Advisory Committee (September 2015).
Concept for an initial three-year curriculum blueprint endorsed by faculty (June 2015).
Curriculum Model solidified and initial courses piloted
Three initial curriculum pilots launch fall quarter 2015 through spring quarter 2016.
Curriculum Blueprint endorsed
Updated three-year concept for a curriculum blueprint endorsed by faculty (January 2016).
Faculty coordinating team, DRIVE, and faculty curriculum Design Work Groups complete their assignments (March 2016).
Operations needs assessed, plans developed
Team of School administrators forms Curriculum Operations Team (COT) to address topics (administration, finances, space, student wellness, external communications, technical readiness, etc.) surrounding curriculum implementation (January 2016).
Stakeholders (students and preceptors) share thoughts on curriculum transformation to help focus communications (May 2016, June 2016, July 2016).
Curriculum Buildout initiated
Newly formed faculty group, Curriculum Transformation Team (CTT) assumes task of transforming blueprint into full-fledged curriculum (May 2016).
PharmD website updated
Information about the curriculum for 2018 and beyond indicated on PharmD website, linking to curriculum transformation website (September 2016).
Educational Policy Committee reorganized
Assessment and Evaluation Committee launched
Project to develop positioning and messaging for the new curriculum launched
- Refinement of curriculum components, details, and assignments continued
- Faculty leads for curriculum components, and their committees, finalized
- Operations planning accelerated
- Terminology framework finalized
- New assessment and evaluation plan developed; assessment and evaluation subcommittees instituted
- Positioning and messaging platform for new curriculum finalized; implementation began and continues
- Curriculum Operations Team (COT) and Curriculum Transformation Team (CTT) merged to become one combined CTT
- Refinement of curriculum components, details, and assignments continues
- Operations planning continues
- Application of positioning and messaging for new curriculum continues
- Faculty votes to adopt a three-year curriculum beginning with the class entering in 2018, and to retire the current curriculum upon graduation of the last four-year class in 2021
- Faculty votes to adopt a pass/no pass grading system beginning with the three-year class entering 2018, and to retire the current grading system upon graduation of the last four-year class in 2021
- Admissions offers go out to applicants to the new curriculum