Herfindal and Szeto

Then: In 1972, Eric (Toby) Herfindal and Roz Szeto prepare medications.

Pharmacy Students

Now: 2014, MedList Clinic, PharmD student Patricia Kuang counsels patient

Introduction

The Department of Clinical Pharmacy at the UCSF School of Pharmacy took shape long before its official department designation in 1996. Although formally established as a division in 1973, its roots extend to the 1950s, an era critical to both the development of the department and the profession of pharmacy, when doctor of pharmacy degree programs debuted.

Department chairs

Became Department of Clinical Pharmacy, 1966

Kroon
2013— Lisa Kroon, PharmD
Guglielmo
2006–2013 (chair, interim dean, 2012–2013; dean, 2013—) B. Joseph Guglielmo, PharmD
Young
2000–2006 Lloyd Y. Young, PharmD
Winter
1998–2000 (interim chair) Michael Winter, PharmD
Koda-Kimble
1996–1998 (dean, 1998–2012) Mary Anne Koda-Kimble, PharmD

Division of Clinical Pharmacy (Department of Pharmacy), 1973

 
Koda-Kimble
1993–1996 (acting chair, 1993–1994) Mary Anne Koda-Kimble, PharmD
Herfindal
1973–1994 Eric (Toby) Herfindal, PharmD, MPH

Founding of the School’s three departments

1868

University of California is founded

1872

California College of Pharmacy is founded

1873

College of Pharmacy affiliates with the University of California (Toland Medical College affiliates, 1873; College of Dentistry, 1881; UC Training School for Nurses, 1907)

1934

Affiliated College of Pharmacy becomes the College of Pharmacy of the University of California

1955

College of Pharmacy becomes the School of Pharmacy

1958

Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry forms

1964

San Francisco campus of the University of California gains independence under the name “University of California, San Francisco Medical Center” and becomes the ninth campus in the UC system

1965

Department of Pharmacy forms

  • 1996: Department of Pharmacy changes its name to the Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences

  • 2009: Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences reforms as a joint department under the Schools of Pharmacy and Medicine and renames as the Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences

1970

Name changes to University of California, San Francisco

1973

Division of Clinical Pharmacy forms

Drug Talk

Next: 1950–1965: Setting the Stage