The UCSF Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (CPT) Postdoctoral Training Program is a research-intensive, two-year training experience that prepares clinician-scientists to become leaders in clinical pharmacology research within academia, industry, and government. The program seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Clinical pharmacology, in the broadest sense, encompasses:
- Drug discovery
- Clinical development
- Regulatory issues
- Therapeutic use and individualization of drug therapy
- Optimization of drug dosage regimens
- An understanding of drug-induced toxicity
- Measures to prevent or minimize adverse effects of drugs.
- Participate in mentored research
- Learn via interdisciplinary didactics in clinical pharmacology
- Gain exposure to scientific and ethical issues in research and development
- Present and publish results of scholarly work.
The program meets the fellowship training expectations set forth by the American Board of Clinical Pharmacology (ABCP) and is a registered member of ABCP. We anticipate that 80 percent of our graduates will obtain board certification in clinical pharmacology.
Fellowship funding comes from National Institute of General Medical Sciences and National Institute of Child Health and Development T32 training grants as well as the UCSF School of Pharmacy Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Dean’s Office.
December 14, 2018
July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2021
- Participate in clinical pharmacology-related research (75% to 80%)
- Patient care (up to 20%)
- MD fellows will provide clinical service in their subspecialty area
- PharmD fellows will provide direct patient care through planned UCSF clinical pharmacy service
- Biweekly, interdisciplinary didactics based on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Principles of Clinical Pharmacology
- Quarterly research seminar focused on multidisciplinary, collaborative, basic, and clinical research
- Responsible conduct of research training
- Individualized training plan
- Present and publish results of scholarly work