UCSF/USP Quality Institute Fellowship in Quality of Medical Products
Applications for the UCSF/USP Quality Institute Fellowship in Quality of Medical Products are now open through April 12, 2019.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), and the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Quality Institute have partnered to establish a fellowship program for early career scientists and researchers who wish to contribute to the evidence base for quality medical products, and receive specialized training in medicine quality, with a specific focus on the quality of excipients.
The fellow/s will work with mentors to advance medicines quality; key activities include the following:
- Initiate and independently conduct at least one research project on issues relevant to medicines quality, incorporating guidance from mentors as described above
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the value of quality medical products, its applications to public health, and key evidentiary gaps in the demonstration of that value
- Collaborate with faculty and scientists from UCSF and USP on research initiatives
- Attend scientific meetings and summarize the process and outcomes of such meetings
- Present on selected medicine quality topics at meetings or in a written format
- Experience learning opportunities with USP (e.g., direct interactions with staff, giving or attending presentations, attendance at select meetings)
Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong interest in medicine quality through their professional and educational backgrounds. Candidates should be enthusiastic, self-motivated individuals who have a deep desire to develop their careers at the intersection of academia, industry, and government.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in a related scientific field (e.g., MD, PhD, PharmD, or equivalent)
- Ability to write and communicate clearly and thoughtfully
- Experience and comfort working in a research setting
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and collaboratively
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency, or a visa granted by the U.S. Department of State granting permission to work in the United States
Location, Duration, and Benefits
Fellow/s will work full time at UCSF in San Francisco, CA, USA. Fellow/s will be awarded an initial one-year term, with the possibility of a one-year extension upon successful completion of the first year. Success will be defined by pre-specified milestones and deliverables, which the fellow/s will establish with co-mentors and program directors from UCSF and USP Quality Institute. The anticipated start date of the first year will be on or around July 1, 2019.
Fellow/s will be offered the following:
- Competitive salary (up to $70,000, commensurate with education and experience)
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, and others
- Funds for travel to professional conferences, at the discretion of fellowship mentors
- Support for research and publications costs
U.S. citizenship or permanent residency, or a visa granted by the U.S. Department of State granting permission to work in the United States. Non-resident/non-visa holder will NOT be accepted.
Criteria for Review and Selection:
Applications will be reviewed by a committee comprising USP staff and UCSF faculty advisors for the following criteria:
• Fulfillment of candidate qualifications and application criteria
• Quality of the research proposal, and alignment of proposal to the USP Quality Institute’s research area of focus, scientific review score, personal statement, and demonstrated ability to independent thinking
Finalists will be invited to UCSF for an in-person interview (tentatively scheduled for May 10, 2019)
Application Criteria and Key Dates
Interested applicants should review the details of the fellowship program, and follow the instructions in the RFA to apply.
March 29, 2019: Letter of Intent Due Date
April 12, 2019: Application Due Date
For more information about the USP Quality Institute, please visit: http://www.usp.org/our-impact/quality-institute