PGY2 Specialized Residency: Medication-Use Safety
Candidate Status: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) residency program accreditation
The UCSF PGY2 specialized residency program in Medication-Use Safety is designed to train highly motivated pharmacists to lead multidisciplinary teams whose function is to vision a safe medication use system for the organization, identify needed improvements in the present system, plan for and implement needed changes, and assess the change achieved. The goal of the program is to prepare residents to assume the responsibilities of a Medication-Use Safety Officer in a health-system setting.
The second-year specialty residency in in Medication Use Safety at UCSF is a one year experience within an academic medical center. Experiences are designed to expose the PGY2 pharmacist to various components of the medication-use system, culture of safety, error reporting, risk reduction strategies, regulatory safety requirements, and working in interdisciplinary teams to improve safety of medication-use processes. The resident will exit the program with the ability to identify areas for improvement in medication safety, and to recommend, implement, and evaluate outcomes of these changes.
Required learning experiences
- Incident reporting system managements
- Development of clinical safety metrics and related policy and procedure development
- Pharmacy operations
- Presentation of 1-2 Medication Safety Grand Rounds
- Completing quality improvement research project to improve safe medication use
- Presentation of research project in local/national meetings
- Submit manuscript of project to a peer-reviewed journal prior to residency completion
How to apply
Applications for the 2018-2019 year will be accepted beginning fall 2017, using a UCSF online application system: PhORCAS https://portal.phorcas.org/ . The deadline for applications and letters of recommendations is December 31, 2017. Interested applicants should have a PharmD or an MS/BS with clinical experience, be eligible for California pharmacist licensure, have completed an ASHP accredited PGY1 pharmacy residency and submit the standardized application materials through the UCSF online application system.
The Medication-Use Safety program will be conducting PGY2 interviews on February 2 and February 9, 2018.
July 9, 2018 to July 8, 2019
Number of positions
Approximately $55,000 per year (paid monthly)
- Vacation: 10 days paid vacation leave
- Professional Leave: 10 days paid professional leave
- Travel Stipend: Amount is determined each year for professional leave and may not cover all travel expenses.
- Insurance: Medical/Dental/Vision Plan and Professional Liability Insurance
Residency Program Director
Victoria Serrano Adams, PharmD, FCSHP
Director, Pharmaceutical Services
UCSF Medical Center - Parnassus/Mt. Zion
505 Parnassus Avenue, Room M-659, Box 0622
San Francisco, CA 94143-0622
Email: [email protected]
Residency Program Coordinator
Kathy Ghomeshi, PharmD, MBA, BCPS, CPPS
Medication Safety Officer, UCSF Medical Center
Assistant Clinical Professor, UCSF School of Pharmacy
533 Parnassus Avenue, 585A, Box 0622
San Francisco, CA 94102
Email: [email protected]