Upgrade to Windows 10 or 11
This guide describes for PharmD student pharmacists at UCSF how to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 10 or 11 while ensuring maximum compatibility with software required by UCSF and UCSF School of Pharmacy. For further information on the required SOP software, visit Technology Requirements 2023.
If you need help during your upgrade,
Contact the IT Service Desk at 415-514-4100, available 24/7. Have your UCSF ID number ready for faster service.
Jump below to
- Perform the upgrade
If you are not a PharmD student
This guide is intended for PharmD students. However, this guide may be utilized by students in other schools at UCSF. If you are not a PharmD student, ignore the software requirements that do not apply to your school.
What you need
One to two hours to prepare and perform the upgrade (longer if you need to back up a lot of files)
A valid license for Windows 10 or 11
A reliable source of power for your computer
Stable internet connection
Perform the upgrade
Download Windows 10 or 11 Education (SOP requirement; Free of charge)
Current UCSF students are eligible to receive a Windows 10 or 11 Education upgrade.
Education free of charge. Windows 10/11 Education includes features from Windows 10/11 Enterprise that are ideal for advanced security, and the comprehensive device control and management needs of today's educational institution.
Download Windows 10/11 Education with UCSF Credentials
- Visit the UCSF on the Hub Portal.
- Log in with your UCSF credentials.
- Underneath the Product Search bar, click on Students.
- Select Windows 10 or 11 and add it to your cart.
- If you have Windows 10 Home, select the Windows 10 Education upgrade.
- If you have Windows 11 Home, select the Windows 11 Education upgrade.
- Check out and download your free version of Windows 10 or 11 Education.
For any of these options, you will be prompted to choose your edition and architecture. For Edition, choose Windows 10 Education or Windows 11 Education. For Architecture, choose 64-bit.
Using Windows 10 or 11
- Microsoft provides in-depth video guides to all aspects of Windows 10 and 11: Windows 10 and 11 Help.
Updated: May 2023