A new era of healthcare is here. But, do we really know how best to use it?
Through stunning advances in genomic research, it is now possible to tailor healthcare to patients based on their unique genetic make-up. Precision medicine holds extraordinary potential to improve health and healthcare.
But there are many unknowns:
- How will these new genome-based technologies work in a healthcare setting?
- Are the people who most need genetic testing able to access them?
- How can these technologies be used efficiently and effectively?
- Which tests should be covered and reimbursed by health insurance?
- What is the cost and is there economic value?
- How are health policies designed and implemented for these technologies?
The TRANSPERS Center is at the forefront of all of these issues, leading major research projects and bringing together academic, government, and industry leaders to explore how precision medicine can be best applied to improve health.