Requirements for Advancement to Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences
Doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) students are required to have a minimum grade point average (GPA) and satisfactorily completed all core didactic coursework as well as milestone assessments before being allowed to undertake Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs). PharmD students will also be required to a complete a minimum number of APPEs prior to graduation comprised of both required and elective experiences.
Policy applicable to all students
- Students must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) greater than or equal to 2.0 in order to participate in any Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs).
- Students must complete a minimum of 6 APPEs prior to graduation.
- 4 of the 6 APPEs are required APPEs comprising: ambulatory patient care, inpatient general medicine patient care, hospital/health-system pharmacy, and community pharmacy.
- The remainder of the APPEs (4 or 2, depending on student pathway) are elective APPEs. A minimum of 50% of elective APPEs must be in direct- patient care settings.
Policy applicable to the Class of 2016 and 2017
- For participation in elective APPEs, students must:
- have completed winter quarter of Pharmacy III, and
- have no more than 10 outstanding units in core courses; students who have any outstanding units in core courses may participate in APPEs only at the discretion of the Vice Dean
- For participation in any required APPE (i.e., CP 146, 147, 148, 149), students must:
- have successfully completed all core courses up through winter quarter of Pharmacy III, and
- have completed the Pharmacy Curricular Outcome Assessment (PCOA) examination
Policy applicable to the Class of 2018 and subsequent classes
- For participation in any APPE, students must:
- have completed all core courses up through winter quarter of Pharmacy III, and
- have successfully completed all specified milestone assessments, including the Pharmacy Curricular Outcome Assessment (PCOA) examination