For students graduating in 2019
The information below is for students graduating in 2019. If you are graduating in 2020, the information likely will be similar, but the exact date of the last day of coverage will change.
If you are insured through the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) your benefits end as described below; we strongly encourage you to establish health insurance beyond the date that your UC SHIP eligibility terminates.
Last full day of coverage: Tuesday, September 10th, 2019
If you are graduating in winter or spring quarter and you paid the health insurance fee as part of your registration during three out of four quarters (summer 2018 through spring 2019), your health coverage with SHCS and UC SHIP (if you didn't waive the coverage) lasts through the day of Tuesday, September 10th (terminating on September 11th at 12:01 AM). After this date, your health insurance and access to SHCS ends. Be sure to plan for your health insurance needs after graduation. If you need additional coverage after your UC SHIP plan terminates, you may elect to purchase one additional quarter of coverage under the plan. See End of Coverage: Insurance Options for details.
Before your UC SHIP coverage ends
- If you have been referred by SHCS to a specialist, your office visit must occur before the plan termination date in order for it to be covered by UC SHIP.
- Fill any prescriptions you need. Don't forget to refill birth control pills or purchase condoms at SHCS.
- If you are female and unsure about your insurance coverage for birth control after graduation, consider an IUD. IUDs are offered at Student Health at no charge to students and are effective for up to five years. SHCS offers the ParaGard, Kyleena and Mirena IUDs.
- If you plan on traveling abroad, make a travel consultation to ensure you are up to date with your immunizations.
- If you have not utilized your dental and vision benefits, do so before your insurance termination date.
- Establish your new health insurance so that it begins on or before the termination date of your UC SHIP. Make sure you do not have a break in coverage, even for just one day. If you are in a situation where you need to find your own insurance, see End of Coverage: Insurance Options.
About pre-existing conditions and coverage verification
You may call Anthem Blue Cross at 800-888-2108 for written verification of prior coverage if needed. For additional information or questions regarding Student Health, please call 415-476-1281.
Go to: Info for Graduating Students