This section helps student pharmacists understand many of the topics of technology security at UCSF. We protect data in a variety of ways.
- Keep confidential data secure.
- Securely erase or have destroyed devices you no longer need - see Drive, Tape, and Data Destruction.
- Lock your device when you step away from it.
- Access UCSF-restricted resources:
- Send e-mail securely using our Secure Email system.
Set it and forget it
- Anti-virus - get UCSF-licensed software to protect all your Mac and Windows computers from viruses - see Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP).
- Encryption - encrypt computer hard drives - see How to Encrypt Your Computer. (Faculty and staff members: contact your computer support coordinator for help with encryption.)
- Online backup - get a UCSF discount to back up data with the online service called CrashPlan.
Set it and check regularly
- Software updates - whenever possible, configure software to update automatically then check it regularly—some updates require manual action.