Student Life and Organizations
Through the activities of student organizations you have opportunities to lead, get involved in community service projects and professional development activities, and contribute to a vibrant and dynamic environment that nurtures student personal and professional growth.
More than 85% of UCSF PharmD students are active in student organizations and grow to excel in leadership and community service at the local, state, regional, and national levels. Student contributions are broad and diverse, reflecting the many perspectives and backgrounds of not only our student body but also our surrounding community.
The development of pharmacy leaders is central to the mission of the PharmD program, and our students excel in leadership and community service. More than 85% of UCSF PharmD students participate in student organizations and their contributions are broad and diverse. Our students sponsor and coordinate community projects and health fairs; are active in professional organizations at the local, state, and national levels; and influence decisions within the School and on campus through representation in governing committees and special projects.
- Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP): A professional association of pharmacists and associates who serve patients and the public through the promotion of wellness and rational drug therapy by the application of managed care principles.
- American Pharmacists Association - Academy of Students of Pharmacy (APhA-ASP):
- The student branch of the American Pharmacists Association (APhA).
- The largest national pharmacy professional organization.
- The only professional organization that has members in all fields of pharmacy practice.
- The largest pharmacy student organization at UCSF.
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy - Student College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP-SCCP at UCSF)
The ACCP (American College of Clinical Pharmacy) is an international association of clinical pharmacists dedicated to promoting innovative science, developing successful models of practice, and disseminating new knowledge to advance pharmacotherapy and patient care.
- Associated Students of the School of Pharmacy (ASSP): The student body of the UCSF School of Pharmacy.
- California Society of Health-System Pharmacists (CSHP): Provides community service projects, continuing education programs, and participation in state and national conferences.
- California Pharmacy Student Leadership (CAPSLEAD): Endeavors to provide student leaders at California pharmacy schools with an opportunity to learn more about leadership skills, build effective time and team management techniques, and interact with pharmacy practitioners and other pharmacy students.
- Community Outreach Student Alliance (COSA): an umbrella organization for 15 patient-centered projects at UCSF. We strive to promote collaboration and communication among projects, improve the quality of projects and outreach efforts, organize large-scale interprofessional health fairs in underserved communities, and encourage effective allocation and use of resources. Through our projects, we provide free health screenings, disease-state management counseling, health education, and workshops to communities throughout San Francisco.
- Kappa Psi: The oldest and largest of the pharmaceutical fraternities.
- Chicanos and Latinos in Health Education (CHE): Its mission is to unite Latino-serving professional organizations at UCSF and advocate for the needs of Latino students at UCSF.
- National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA): Represents the pharmacist owners, managers, and employees of more than 24,000 independent community pharmacies across the United States.
- Phi Delta Chi: A coeducational national professional pharmacy fraternity advancing the science of pharmacy and fostering fraternal spirit among its members.
- Phi Lambda Sigma: A national pharmacy leadership society comprised of pharmacy students, practitioners, and professors promoting the development of leadership qualities among pharmacy students.
- Rho Chi: An honor society in pharmacy promoting the advancement of the pharmaceutical sciences through the stimulation and recognition of academic excellence.
- Student National Pharmaceutical Association (SNPhA): An educational and service association of students who are concerned about pharmacy issues, professional development, and are dedicated to increasing diversity in pharmacy and other health-related professions. The purpose of SNPhA is to plan, organize, coordinate and execute programs geared toward the improvement of the health, educational, and social environment of underserved communities.